Tuesday 1 May 2012

Vintage Events: Judy's Affordable Vintage Fair - Durham




Hi folks!

So last Saturday (the 28th) I visited Judy's Vintage Fair in Durham Students Union. Now I'm not sure how long Judy has run an event in Durham, I'm just pleased that it's been long enough that the event seems to be in the swing of things by the time that I moved to the North East.

I attended one of the sister events at Brighton and while the Durham event is smaller there is no shortage of bargains to be found. (Judy has events in lots of cities - you can find a list here - scroll down)

In Durham, much like in the rest of the UK it has been raining, so I chose to wear my trusty teal raincoat, long boots (I didn't want to ruin a nice pair os shoes on the muddy lane) and a trusty navy tea dress from Monsoon.



The fair, while taking up a fairly small area in the basement of the Union, was packed with sellers and clothes rails filled with goodies. Prices varied a lot depending on age style and colour but the most expensive thing I looked at was around £65 - I dare say they were more expensive things, I probably just missed them. But there were also rails for £10 dresses and id say the average price was around £20-30.


I didn't spend much time looking at the scattered items of lingerie, or any shoes or jewellery but there was a fair selection for those interested. There were even cupcakes available for £1.50 from Cakes and all things nice.



I'd say for the £2 entry fee, or £1 if you're a student, there was lots of choice and it would be easy to spend a hour or more rummaging. Stall owners were friendly and helpful and there were a fairly good selection of sizes not just the tiny tiny items you find at a lot of vintage fairs.

So what did I get?

Well I had a fairly good day of thrifting, I bought a blue dress from the fair I believe it is probably from the 1970s but I simply loved the colour! I also bought a mushroom polka dot day dress that had all of its labels removed so I have no idea where it is from, it is made of a thick cotton fabric and some very light padding at the shoulders.

I also went on a little bit of a charity shop hunt and managed to find a lovely teal coast skirt and red polka dot blouse. Last but not least, and this is cheating a bit, is a blue and white summer dress from monsoon. Technically my mum bought this dress but she said we could share it which is convenient given that we are the same size - its just to pretty not to share!



Anywho, that's it for now, bye for now!



2 comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...