Friday 3 January 2014

Dressing like 'Call the Midwife' in a (slightly anachronistic) 1970s dress - and I think I just about get away with it!

While catching up on Christmas special TV this holidays I was inspired by Call the Midwife. This is one of my favourite shows on the BBC, mainly because I like the stories and the characters involved. The show has a perfect balance of moments to make you cry with sadness and joy and there are a few laughs too. It is a delightful mix that makes for a well rounded viewing experience. AND, the main character is called Jenny, so its got to be good right?

Having said all that, I also like the style. A little too much.

Yes I'm a total sucker for anything from the Victorian era until the mid 1960s but the famous looks of the 1950s are my favourites so this show ticks all those boxes.

The young midwives wear lovely 1950s nurses uniforms, although I'm not sure how lovely they would be if you had to wear them everyday (mind you, my Mum is a nurse and she is obsessed with vintage uniforms so maybe they would still be). The uniform consists of a simple blue dress with white collar and cuffs and a contrasting red cardigan. 

Source
Feeling inspired I had a little root around in my wardrobe and pulled out a dress from M&S from the 70s (based on the measurements and label style). I didn't have a white collar, but other wise it was pretty much perfect! I also has the red cardigan I found in the charity shop the other week that was again spot on.




I of course don't have a proper nurses hat like the ones in the show (seen in the many pictures of the ladies riding their bikes) but I figures a red beret would do.


A close up of the cardigan and the dress detail:



Just a little note on the shoes. Obviously the midwives wear simple stockings and simple brown shoes, but it is winter and it is COLD so I couldn't bring myself to wear sheer stockings for the post. I did try to have minimally disruptive leg wear though and wore these tights from Accessorize they are knitted and a sort of oatmeal colour so they are great for winter! They're also in the sale right now for around £3.50 too!

As for shoes, to stop my toes getting cold I wore a pair of vintage sheepskin shoes by Drapers of Glastonbury. They are total GRANNY SHOES but they are fleece lines so keep my toes lovely and warm, oh, they're suede too so pretty waterproof. I thought the colour worked well as part of the outfit too.


Dress: 1970s St. Michael
Cardigan: M&S
Tights: Accessorize
Beret: Accessorize
Shoes: Vintage Drapers of Glastonbury

Just a note on fur/fleece lined shoes, they are wonderful. I have a pair of vintage Morlands boots that are fur lined and a pair of Docs that are (faux) fleece lined. They keep my feet toasty and warm. They are definitely my must have recommendation for surviving the winter. Now I only wish I could find something fleece lined that was a bit more ladylike and I'd be a very happy lady.

Have you seen Call the Midwife? What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I've never seen Call the Midwife (I don't have live TV) but I'm going to nip and see if I can get it on catch up now!

    That little red beret pulls the whole outfit together, you look very sweet! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new series will be starting soon-ish I believe so even if you've missed the Christmas one you should be able to catch and episode soon. It doesn't have a huge cast so its quite easy to pick up (I started in season 2).

      I love that hat so much, its covered many a bad hair day :)

      Delete
    2. I prefer smaller cast programmes like this anyway, it sounds ideal! Thanks Jennie :)

      Sod diamonds, hats are a girls best friend - hide a multitude of sins ;) x

      Delete
  2. I didn't care much for the show personally, but I do indeed love the fashion. And love how you recreated the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I was pretty pleased with how this turned out!

      Delete
  3. good work. this is a real 'midwife' like outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I was pretty pleased with how this turned out in the end!

      Delete

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...