Friday 25 January 2013

Vintage Outfits: Da Doo Blog Blog - A 1960s Girls Night Out


Submitting my thesis was a huge ordeal for me (and I promise this is the last you'll hear on it for a while) - and the event needed to be marked with a proper celebration! Luckily for me my friend Miss Doherty had been plotting an evening out with some of her friends that I was invited to tag along to.

The night was Da Doo Ron Ron (named after the hit song of the same name). A night of 1960s girl pop and Mowtown that has usually been pretty popular to my knowledge - although somehow in 4 years in Brighton I'd never been.



The jokes, however, is really on me really as my first trip there, was also the last ever Da Doo.

Sad times indeed as it was really a fun night. I visited Miss Doherty's flat and met two of her friends Hayley and Katie from the southern vintage scene. We gathered for drinks and jokes as we listened to records and Miss D made sure my hair was in ship shape.

My hair was up in a sort of beehive inspired with a couple of curls on the top. Sadie made sure that it looked perfect from the back too. On a side note I know my roots are terrible! Please don't judge me, I'm getting it all sorted out later today.



Interestingly we all observed that dressed in a somewhat 1960s style we were all out of sorts with out usual attire. I thought that of us all my look was closest to my usual wardrobe but that is probably because my look is a little more... erm... eclectic (aka less polished) than others.

Any who, what did it wear.

Being the size and shape I am, I'm not really comfortable in the typical 60s shift mini dresses. In a panic I had a look around Primark and managed to lay my hands on two dresses that were okay, but in the end I found something better so they will be going back. During the day I went to a shop in Hove called Department where I browsed the rails. It is one of those mixed-up shops that houses all types of old things all together, china, furniture, clothes and it even has a cafe!



I found my dress tucked away in the basement and looking a little moth eaten. But it fit! Rather splendidly if I'm honest. It looks hand made to me from the way the sleeve cuffs are done, and there are no labels at all so it's hard to date. It's a sort of wool/felt fabric. It had a few holes that aren't too tricky to fix but all in all I think it was a pretty good buy.

The look ended up being a bit more inspired by the sort of Joan from Mad Men look, although I'm not sure I do it so well as Christina Hendricks - she is the queen of the wiggle dress!

Image is property of AMC and the creators of Mad Men




2 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous, that dress was made for your beautiful shape! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was amazed by how well it fit when I tried it on.

    ReplyDelete

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...